In many ways, 2020 is proving to be a challenging year for all of us and taking care of your family, now and for the future, is more important than ever.
Making your Will is essential, not only to plan what happens to your assets, but also to make sure your children, whatever age they may be, are protected and cared for, should you die.
In most cases, when one parent dies, the other would simply carry on, but what would happen if both parents died? This is especially concerning if you are living and working overseas and the guardians are in another country.
Choosing the right guardians for your circumstances will ensure that your children are brought up as you would wish them to be but there are many aspects to take into account, such as financial assistance, religion and, of course, whether your chosen guardians are willing and able.
- How do I feel about their values and parenting skills?
- Are they able to offer a stable family environment?
- What is the quality of their present relationship with my child/children?
- Are they willing and able to handle the responsibility of caring for my child/children on a long-term basis?
- Are they financially capable or would they need to be provided for?
- Will they observe your religious and moral views?
- Are they of an appropriate age to take care of young children?
- If you live abroad, are the Guardians in another country? If so, who would care for your child / children if both parents die until the permanent Guardians can assume their role? The children may be taken into care if there are no temporary Guardians.
- Do they have the ability and financial means for any travel involved?
- Have you asked them if they agree and do they realise what’s involved?
- How many Guardians should you appoint?
All of these issues can be managed and Excelsior is available to help you with these difficult decisions to protect your children and we welcome any queries or concerns you may have, feel free to contact us.
Free advice is available by text or email.
+44 7939 578 631 email@example.com